As is by now tradition for us, we were proud to be present during the 2020 Winter Session of the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe, held on 27-31 January 2020 in Strasbourg, France. Our delegation consisted of ODF President Lyudmyla Kozlovska, Kazakhstani activist from the ‘Qaharman’ human rights movement Dana Zhanay and Polish persecuted judge Dominik Czeszkiewicz from the Suwałki District Court.
Together with Dominik Czeszkiewicz, the very first Polish judge to be persecuted by PiS, we gathered support from PACE MPs to amend the report on “The functioning of democratic institutions in Poland”, which eventually led to the opening of the monitoring procedure with respect to Poland.
Among the key messages we delivered to the MPs during bilateral meetings and at the side-event “Law and Justice’s Continued Campaign against the Polish Judiciary”, hosted by Italian Senator Roberto Rampi with the participation of MP Barbara Nowacka and judge Czeszkiewicz, were:
- requesting support for hundreds of judges and prosecutors, victims of disciplinary proceedings, defamation campaigns and hate speech solely for being critical about the “justice reform”;
- raising concerns over the independence and impartiality of the National Council of the Judiciary, as well as over the new disciplinary chamber of the Supreme Court, which cannot be considered a court.
The side-event was live-streamed and you can watch it on our Facebook fanpage.
- PACE adopts resolution on Poland with ODF’s amendments (04.02.2020)
- ODF welcomes persecuted Polish judges and prosecutors in Brussels (16.12.2019)
- “Law and Justice’s Campaign against Polish Judiciary” – ODF’s hearing in the European Parliament (17.12.2019)
- Position of the Open Dialogue Foundation in the case of Judge Dariusz Mazur (19.11.2019)
- 20 lawsuits filed against Law and Justice. Interim measure against TVP (11.10.2019)
- Attacks on judges and independent prosecutors in Poland. An ODF event at the OSCE forum (30.09.2019)
- ODF attends PACE Autumn Session 2018 to speak up for rule of law and human rights defenders (05.10.2018)
- Attack against the rule of law and civil society in Poland – a debate during the OSCE HDIM 2017 conference (19.09.2017)