On Thursday, 30 October 2014, the Polish MEP Kosma Złotowski, a member of the EURONEST Eastern Partnership Parliamentary Assembly, has written to French, Ukrainian and Polish governmental representatives on the case of Mukhtar Ablyazov, a Kazakh oppositionist and the main political opponent of the President Nursultan Nazarbayev.
Letters were addressed to:
- French President – Mr Francois Hollande,
- French Minister of Foreign Affairs – Mr Laurent Fabius,
- French Minister of Justice – Ms Christiane Taubira,
- French Minister of Interior – Mr Bernard Cazeneuve,
- Ukrainian President – Mr Petro Poroshenko,
- Ukrainian General Prosecutor – Mr Yarema Hryhorovych,
- Ukrainian Minister of Justice – Mr Pavlo Petrenko,
- Polish Minister of Foreign Affairs – Mr Grzegorz Schetyna,
- Polish Minister of Justice – Mr Cezary Grabarczyk.
Earlier this month, on the 9 October at the European Parliament in Brussels, K. Złotowski met with Ms Alma Shalabayeva, a wife of M. Ablyazov. On the same day she participated in the organized by the Open Dialogue Foundation manifestation against human rights violations in Kazakhstan.