The District Court in Warsaw ruled that Polish Public TV (TVP) must apologise to the Open Dialogue Foundation for using manipulation and disseminating lies about them. The sum of PLN 200,000 was awarded as compensation, as well as the publication of an apology on the broadcaster’s website and in its main news programme “Wiadomości”.
After four years of litigation, the Open Dialogue Foundation has won a personal rights lawsuit against TVP. ODF leaders filed a lawsuit in 2019. It concerned nearly 40 materials that appeared on public television channels. In these materials, persons associated with ODF were accused by TVP employees of, among other things: “espionage, terrorist operations, organising a coup d’état, illegal financing, and moral scandals”. On 13 June, the District Court issued a non-final verdict.
TVP lost in court against the Open Dialogue Foundation
The Open Dialogue Foundation’s Facebook page described the exact steps to be taken by Polish Public TV (TVP).
The President of the Foundation also explained what exactly TVP accuses the Open Dialogue Foundation of.
“Since the Law and Justice party came to power, TVP has groundlessly accused the Open Dialogue Foundation of financing its activities with Russian money, trying to provoke a “bloody Euromaidan in Poland”, laundering oligarchs’ dirty money, and working for the secret services of Russia, Brussels, Germany and Soros against the Polish authorities. In fact, the true reason for the persecution by the Polish authorities was that the Foundation criticised the government and defended independent courts in Poland internationally.”
TVP must reimburse losses
It has been revealed that Polish Public Television must also reimburse losses in the amount of PLN 200,000. They are to be paid with the statutory interest accrued from 17 October 2019. The Foundation’s employees do not hide the fact that they are happy with the court’s decision but they realise that the Foundation has a long way to go to clear itself of the accusations and restore its good name.
- Polish state broadcaster TVP forced to apologise and pay damages following court verdict (July 4, 2023)
- Onet: The Open Dialogue Foundation Wins Against the Polish Public TV (TVP): Apologies and PLN 200 000 of Compensatory Damages (June 29, 2023)
- OKO.press: The Polish Public TV (TVP) Lost in a Major Lawsuit Against the Open Dialogue Foundation and the Foundation’s Leaders (June 29, 2023)
- Gazeta Wyborcza: The Open Dialogue Foundation has faulted Law and Justice. Now they win court battle after battle, recently against state TVP (July 2, 2023)
- Press: TVP is to apologise to the Open Dialogue Foundation at the beginning of “Wiadomości” news service and pay compensation of PLN 200,000 (July 3, 2023)
- Wirtualne Media: TVP is to apologise to the Open Dialogue Foundation at the beginning of “Wiadomości” news service and pay compenstation of PLN 200,000 (July 3, 2023)
- Salon24: TVP has to apologise the Foundation run by Kramek and Kozlovska. The Open Dialogue has won in court (July 3, 2023)
- Gazeta.pl: TVP must broadcast the apology as the first piece of news in “Wiadomości” news service. The court precisely designated the specific time of the broadcast (July 3, 2023)